rp's 2-minute guide/tutorial to using IRC to get manga releases.
- Get mIRC (www.mirc.com) (if you're using windows. if not using windows, use a search engine to find an IRC client for your OS.)
- Install mIRC.
- Open mIRC.
- Fill in the info it asks (it can be fake)
- type /server irc.irchighway.net into the window.
- after a lot of text scrolls past, type /join #rmt
(note: #RMT is no longer active. substitute the channel name of your preferred group.)
- once in the channnel, type !list
- you will see lots of colours. you will see something like Trigger:[/ctcp nickname clever wittiness] (this is only an EXAMPLE trigger. Each trigger is DIFFERENT! Be sure to paste the right trigger!!) The pink part is called the trigger. HIGHLIGHT it. do NOT press ctrl+c!! This will copy the colours as well as the text, and it will not work. In mIRC, all you have to do is highlight to copy. paste the trigger in the window to get into an fserve. Don't forget the /ctcp!!
- the fserve should open in a new window. type dir to get a list of files and folders. Anything WITH a .ext (ext = extention, can be .zip, .jpg, etc) at the end is a FILE. anything WITHOUT a .ext is a FOLDER.
- Type cd folder_name to get into a folder. type dir again to get a list of files in the folder. Type cd.. to get out of a folder.
- if/when you find a file you want, type get file_name.ext BE SURE TO TYPE THE EXACT FILE NAME.
- close the chat window, and wait patiently. it should send eventually. If you didn't find what you wanted, try another trigger.
- If you can't get into an fserve:
- Check your status window and/or chat windows. Sometimes they will tell you that you can't have access for some reason or other, or that you need to type a certain command.
- If a command is given, type it in. Again, DON'T ctrl+c, just highlight, then paste!
- If it STILL doesn't work, try typing /mode *insert your nick here* -x
- If it STILL doesn't work, there's probably not much you can do. Give up and try another fserve.
- If the file isn't coming:
- open the fserve that you ordered the file from. (type the trigger to get in.)
- type queues
- if you're in that list, you're in line to get the file. you'll just have to wait. if you're not on the list, and nothing's sending, and you're sure it hasn't already been sent when you weren't looking...
- Go to DCC >> options >> check "Auto-get file", then try getting the file again.
- Still doesn't work? Either you're doing something retarded, or you or the server (or both) is behind a firewall, and the file can't get through. Or maybe the options are screwed up, just read through mIRC's help file (which is actually helpful) and try to figure it out. If it still doesn't work, too bad.
- Try this: http://boltu.free.fr/irc/
- If you're really desperate, search google.com for a more thorough tutorial. they're easy to find.
IF YOU STILL CAN'T DO IT AFTER THIS EXPLANATION, YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO GET MANGA FROM IRC. :(
BACK TO RMT